Your Trusted Brainerd Truck Accident Attornerys
Being involved in a truck accident can result in serious and long-lasting injuries and complications. Most truck accident cases are unique from traditional, two-car collision cases. Because of the issues involved in these cases, having an experienced truck accident attorney representing your interests is recommended.
At Nelson Personal Injury, LLC, our lawyers have decades of experience representing Benson residents in truck accident cases and helping them secure the compensation they are entitled to.
Potential At-Fault Parties in a Benson Truck Accident Case
The laws that apply to cases that involve a truck accident involve both federal and state regulations. Usually, the cases involve common law claims based on negligence, too.
Sometimes, truck accident damages include punitive damages if there is grossly or malicious, negligent conduct involved. While many parties may be at fault for a truck accident, some of the most common include the following:
- The truck driver;
- The trucking company;
- The carrier’s safety director;
- The vehicle inspector; or
- The mechanic.
Are Truck Accidents That Common in Benson, Minnesota?
Due to the central location of the state in the U.S., trucks are very common in the area. Unfortunately, this puts those in Benson at risk for serious and life-changing accidents.
Unfortunately, when truck accidents do occur, they often cause life-changing injuries. If this happens to you, you have legal rights. One right is to recover compensation for the injuries and damages you experience.
Factors That Contribute to Truck Accidents in Benson
You must understand that accidents with commercial trucks may involve issues that are not common with other types of accidents. Some of these factors include the following:
- Braking systems. Large commercial trucks often use braking systems that are unique from passenger vehicles. These are typically air brake systems where pressure is used to help increase the braking force. Unfortunately, issues with the braking system can result in more serious collisions.
- Size. Semi-trucks are often difficult to handle because they are so large. This is the cause of many accidents.
- Empty trailer dynamics. While it may seem counterintuitive, you should note that empty trailers require larger stopping distances than trailers that are loaded. The shock absorbers, springs, tires, and brakes on commercial trucks are designed to be most efficient if the trailer is loaded. Because of this, when the trailer is empty, the stopping distance for the truck is significantly reduced.
- Stopping distance. One of the biggest differences between commercial trucks and cars is how long they take to stop. More size means more momentum. Tricks have more mass, so they need more space to stop than passenger vehicles. For example, a passenger vehicle traveling 65 mph takes around 162 feet to stop, and a commercial truck traveling the same speed will take around 420 feet to stop.
- Rollovers. Large trucks will roll over much more easily than passenger vehicles due to their high profile and high center of gravity.
- Jackknifing. Due to the way tractor-trailers are set up, there is a possibility that the trailer will swing to the side while braking.
Common Injuries in Truck Accidents
If you are involved in a Benson truck accident, your adrenaline will likely go into “overdrive.” The adrenaline pumping through your body can mask injuries and pain caused by the accident.
In some situations, accident victims believe they are fine because of this. Even if you do not feel like you have been injured, you should get a full medical evaluation. A doctor can find hidden injuries and provide documentation that links your injuries to the accident.
Some of the most common accidents that occur in truck collisions include the following:
- Bruises and lacerations;
- Internal injuries;
- Neck and back injuries;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Traumatic brain injuries;
- Broken bones;
- Paralysis; and
Why You Need an Attorney to Help with Your Truck Accident Claim in Benson
After a truck accident, you may be tempted to file a claim alone. While no law states you must have legal representation, it is usually in your best interest.
At Nelson Personal Injury, LLC, our legal team will help you recover the full amount of compensation you are entitled to. We have represented clients in similar situations and helped them get their lives on track with the compensation provided by a truck accident lawsuit.
The first step is to contact our office to schedule an initial consultation. This first meeting is free, and there is no obligation to use our legal representation.
If you do move forward and hire us to help you with your truck accident claim, you can feel confident that we will work to ensure you get what you deserve and that your rights and interests are protected.
Contact us today to learn about our legal services and how we can help with your case.